Username: Password: Remember me
Let's talk about modelling!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 6 months ago #94

• malc
  • Fresh Boarder
No idea if anyone else has seen these potential new releases

First from Fisher models in 1/24 scale and full detail. Rumored to be around 250USD.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 6 months ago #95

• malc
  • Fresh Boarder
Second from Lone Star models in 1/32

www.lonestarmodels.com/completekits.html

Malc.

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 6 months ago #96

• malc
  • Fresh Boarder
Of course we have the ultimate reference material available now!
Well almost, its a replica, but plenty of useful info.

www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject

Malc

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 6 months ago #97

• aminne
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice! I think I want one (I think).

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 2 months ago #119

• stuntflyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
malc wrote:
Of course we have the ultimate reference material available now!
Well almost, its a replica, but plenty of useful info.

www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject

Malc

I'm uncomfortable with their choice of engine for many reasons. Harmonic resonance and low horsepower at very high rpm being the first. I contend that using the Hayabusa engine at max rpm is contributing to an engine failure due to the usual reasons auto engines fail when used as airplane engines. Auto/bike engines spend very little time at top rpm and at their highest rated rpm and hp ratings. Airplane engines spend their entire operating lives at these settings and therein lies a huge difference design philosophies. In the 30's, the auto engine was very nearly the same in construction as an airplane engine due to the engineering being very close, low rpm, high torque, hand computed engineering and wide conservatism in rounding up in the case of loads and the resultant overbuilding of components. Crankshafts had large journals, rods were oversized, piston speeds low, oil pressures low but with much quantity of flow, etc. The modern bike engine has tiny, optimized componentry along with the engine being required originally as being lightweight by virtue of being a motorcycle engine. For them to operate the engine at top rpm at 200hp is inviting disaster in the form of low time period in operation until it's experienced bearing wear, and the rotating mass at those speeds creating harmonics through the drive shafts, drive gear and airframe. Bikes and autos are made very stiff, airframes are vey light and naturally very flexible. I think modest turbosupercharging and a reduction in rpm to a lesser value would be the best compromise because of this, the Hayabusha engine is known to last quite long in cars and motorcycles while pushed to more than two atmospheres. 40 inches at 9,000 rpm making 250 hp with the cams optimized to make the best torque at that speed, for instance, would create high power at an rpm leaving a measure of safety over it's 10,000 rpm or so redline.
I wish them great luck but I fear the engine problems of this project will be their greatest challenge and I hope they have the type of test program that appreciates the difficulty of making them work. Just think back to the Jaguar, Chevy V-8, Nissan Electromotive, Vickers Vimy Chrysler and BMW program, insert your failed or problematical auto /aero engine conversion program here, and one will get an idea of why such an endevour as flying the Bugatti is so long in coming.

Forthcoming Bugatti 100P kits 4 years 2 months ago #120

• stuntflyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As well, I believe that a test mule fuselage in which to install and test the airplane's engines and drive mechanicals is a must to preserve the airframe for flight. Testing engines in the airplane has always been a problem in aviation and the expense of a failure would be well worth cost of a test mule with all of the components of the airplane's power system operated for some test period within the mule to nail down the operating parameters. An air racing crew chief of experience, or a person of a mind for organized and deliberate test program would come in handy to the team. Maybe they already have a team within their organization. We should all hope.
Chris...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds